Monday, February 19, 2007

WEEKEND

Although it's now Monday, when I chose this word it was actually Friday, so it was actually rather relevant at the time.

I have a sort of ambivalent relationship with weekends. Sometimes I think I like them, sometimes I think I don't. Overall, I probably prefer weekdays. This is because I prefer to be on my own and not have kids under my feet all the time and that tends to happen more often at weekends. Friday is probably my favourite day insofar as I have more time to myself and also I don't have to worry about sorting out school uniforms and the rest of it. Sunday evenings are my least favourite time as then I do have to worry about sorting out school uniforms and the rest of it. I'm always glad when it's Monday - I happen to like Mondays. My favourite Monday was probably 13th November last year, but that's another story.

Suggested Song: FRIDAY ON MY MIND (The Easybeats)

Sometimes I think people set too much store by weekends. There's no real reason why they should be better than weekdays, but most people seem to think that if anything good is going to happen, it's more likely to happen at the weekend. Personally, if I was going to go for a day out somewhere, I'd rather go on a Wednesday or something, not on a Sunday when the roads are chock-a-block with traffic and it takes twice as long to get where you're going, if you ever get there at all. Not to mention the fact that when you do get there, you can't move for other people who have also got there. Prices tend to go up at weekends, too. Touristy places stick extra on everything and even flowers cost more at weekends.

Looking back, I can't really think of a single weekend that I would call memorable, although four of my five children were born during the weekend, three on a Saturday and one on a Friday (the other was born on a Wednesday, in case anyone's even remotely interested). I do remember the birth of my third child quite vividly as it was also Wimbledon final weekend and I do enjoy a spot of the old Wimbers, so maybe I will plump for that one. It was quite amusing actually, sitting there in the TV room watching the final with midwives flying in and out shouting "Who's winning?" every ten minutes or so.

It was also the first year the days of the final changed from Friday & Saturday to Saturday & Sunday, resulting in my son being born on the women's final day instead of the men's. I remember at the time wondering if there was any significance in that (I'm heavily into that sort of thing), but it turned out there wasn't.. He's about as heterosexual as it's possible to get.

Opinions vary as to when the weekend officially starts, but 6pm seems to be the most popular. That's when the phone companies start charging weekend rates anyway, so that's what I go by. Then again, they don't stop charging weekend rates until 8 am on Monday and I don't consider midnight-8am on Monday to be the weekend.

Well, that's all I can think of to say with regard to weekends. As I said, I'm not really very keen on them when all's said and done. Thank goodness it's Monday.

Next Word: Much

0 Comments: